The present-day town on the Poprád River was founded by Saxon settlers invited by King Béla IV of Hungary to Szepes after the Mongol Invasion, which is so much reflected in its characteristic architecture, especially in the burgher's houses surrounding the main square and in its bell tower. It got its German name, Georgenberg, from the St. George church, which had already been built earlier. King Sigismund of Hungary, in order to finance his war for recapturing the Dalmatian towns from Venice, pawned 13 towns of Szepes to Poland, including Szepesszombat, in 1412. Although it was originally planned for only a short time, finally lasted until 1772. The Saxons of Szepes supported the Hungarian War for Independence against the Habsburg Empire in 1848-1849, and they also proved their loyalty in 1918 during the Czechoslovak invasion, when they declared their will to remain part of Hungary. Unfortunately the great powers weren't interested in the opinion of the local population when drawing the borders. The newly created Czechoslovakia had no need of the native nationalities and after World War II they took advantage of the favorable opportunity and displaced the Saxons immediately. The town is now part of Poprad.
Check out other towns in Upper Hungary (Slovakia) as well!
lt was built in the 13th century in late Romanesque style and was reconstructed in 1464 in Gothic style. Its Gothic winged altars (the altars of St. George and St. Anthony) were made between 1503 and 1520 in the workshop of Master Lőcsei Pál in Lőcse. The main altar illustrates St. George. To the left is the altar of Virgin Mary from 1464 and to the right is the altar of St. Anthony the Great. The Chapel of St. Anne on the northern side of the church is from the 16th century.
The church was built in 1777. The title of the painting of the main altar is "Christ on the Mount of Olives" and is from 1852.
Johann Brokoff was a Baroque sculptor, who lived between 1652 and 1718. He was born in Szepesszombat in a German family. He worked in Prague. One of his famous works is the statue of St. John of Nepomuk on the Charles-bridge.
Renaissance and Baroque burgher's houses from the 15-17th centuries.
The wheat measuring tool in the park recalls the famous medieval fairs of Szepesszombat.
It was unveiled in 1899 in memory of the Hungarian War of Independence between 1848 and 1849. The following is written on it: "Out of the love of our sweet Hungarian homeland".
The column was erected in 1689.
The plaque was placed in memory of the great Hungarian king's stay in the town in 1474.